Most people are aware that the hot summer sun can affect the skin, but they often don’t know that the eyes are a concern as well. Whether you plan on soaking up the sun or swimming in the pool, it’s important to take a few steps to protect your eyes from damage. Doing this won’t just preserve your eye health but also set a good example for others in your household.
Hot Weather Eye Issues to Be Aware Of
The summer in Brooklyn, NY is beautiful but it is full of things that can impact your eye health – UVA/UVB rays, high temperatures, sand, water, bugs, debris from windy days and more. Some of the most common issues to be aware of are:
- This condition occurs more often in the summer because it can easily spread in swimming pools, even those that are chlorinated.
- Dry eyes. High temperatures can cause the tear film on the eye to evaporate quickly, leading to dry eye symptoms like redness, irritation, burning and tearing.
- Eye allergies. The summer season brings high levels of irritants and pollutants into the air, aggravating eye allergies. Symptoms include burning, itching and redness.
- Styes are caused by infected oil glands. They are common in children, but adults tend to get them more often in the summer.
- Irritation from chlorine. Chlorine dehydrates the eyes, causing them to be itchy and red. Sometimes, this can lead to temporary blurriness.
Tips for Keeping Your Eyes Healthy in the Summer Heat
By taking a few proactive steps, you can prevent many of the symptoms listed above. At Empire Retina Consultants, we recommend that our patients practice the following:
- Wear UV-blocking sunglasses labeled as UV400 or 100% UV protection
- Wear goggles when swimming to protect the eyes from pool chemicals (for contact wearers: take out your contacts before swimming)
- Use eye drops to keep the eyes moist
- Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water
- Rinse the eyes immediately if you get sand in them
- Wash hands frequently with soap and water
- Do not swim if you have signs of conjunctivitis
- Practice proper hygiene by washing your face at night
Eye health is important no matter what season it is, though summer does require a few additional precautions. If you run into any trouble, schedule an appointment with an eye specialist like Empire Retina Consultants. Your vision is too precious to ignore!